Thu, Jul 01|
Building Self Regulation Skills through Mindfulness Practices for System Involved Youth
Time & Location
Jul 01, 2021, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
About the Event
This mindfulness based training will offer training participants engaging tools, practices, and strategies that can support system involved youth in building self regulation. We will explore trauma informed mindfulness and mindful movement strategies, exercises, and activities for those who support system invovled youth in all settings. Participants will experience and learn mindfulness practices they can use in their interactions with system involved youth to cope with stress and anxiety, build self regulation skills, and cultivate self awareness and resilience.
- Learn and practice how to utilize mindfulness and somatic based practices through a trauma informed lens.
- Explore and understand how mindfulness can be supportive and culturally relevant for system involded and marginalized youth
- Learn and practice mindfulness based strategies for self regulation for system involved youth with behavioral challenges.
- Engage in and learn mindful movement strategies to cultivate body awareness
- Practice and learn mindfulness breathing techniques for system invovled youth to cope with stress
- Engage in and learn compassion and self acceptance practices for system involved youth
- Learn how to scaffold and build upon mindfulness practices to increase self awareness and self regulation for system invovled and marginalized youth
11:00am-11:30am Welcome, Housekeeping, and Introductions
11:30am-12:00pm Self Reflection + Mindfulness Practices
12:00pm-12:15pm Introduction to Supporting Youth with Trauma Informed Mindfulness
12:15pm-12:45pm Activity 1: Self Compassion and Heartfulness Practices
12:45pm-1:00pm Activity: 2: Mindful Breathing Activities
1:00pm-1:45pm Activity 3:The Rollercoaster of Mindful Emotions
1:45pm-2:30pm Lunch Time and Individual Questions (CEUs will not be issued for this time)
2:30pm-3:00pm Activity 4: Tools and Practices for Building Self Awareness and Regulation
3:00pm-3:30pm Activity 5: Mindfulness + Nature Connection for Stress Reduction
3:30pm-3:45pm Adapting to the Needs of System involved youth
3:45pm-4:00pm Closing + Feedback
Meet Our Trainer
Ursula Elsa (she/they) was born and raised in the beautiful land of the Bay Area, Ohlone Territory. She has been teaching mindfulness and nature connection to youth in the Bay Area for over 6 years and is currently leading rites of passage work for Gaia Passages. Ursula is passionate about creating programming for LGBTQI+ and neurodiverse communities. She is also a trained doula and an advocate of parent’s rights in the birth community. Ursula has been developing curriculum at the intersection of mindfulness, social emotional development and nature connection to support organizations and families that she collaborates with.
This course meets the qualifications for (4.25) BBS CEUs for LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences & is provided by Fred Finch Youth Center, CAMFT Provider #045295.