Wed, Nov 16|
The Impact of Trauma on System-Involved Youth in the Classroom
Nicole Klasey, Psy.D.
Time & Location
Nov 16, 2022, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM PST
About the Event
Nicole Klasey, Psy.D.
Trauma impacts many aspects of one's life. One of those areas is a student's learning path. It's crucial for providers, foster parents, guardians and natural supports to understand how trauma impacts a system involved youth’s emotional and behavioral health which also affected their academic performance. The better we understand how trauma presents, the better we can support staff implementing trauma-informed learning environments and improve outcomes for system involved youth.
1. Participants will be able to identity at least 2 impacts of trauma on system-involved youths’ education.
2. Participants will be able to identify at least 2 impacts of trauma on system-involved youths’ social and emotional behavior during the school day.
3. Participants will be able to identify at least 1 strategy to support traumatized youth in the school setting.
10:00am-10:15am Welcome & Introductions
10:15am-11:30am Trauma in the classroom overview
· Traumas youth experience
· Need for trauma-informed schools
· Impact of trauma on kids education
11:30am-11:45am Break (CEUs are not offered during this time)
11:45am-12:45pm Strategies to support system involved youth in school
· School interventions
· Elements of trauma-informed schools
· Supporting traumatized youth in the classroom
12:45pm-1:00pm Closing and evaluations
Meet Our Trainers
Nicole Klasey is a clinical psychologist who has worked with trauma survivors for 14 years. She currently consults with agencies on trauma-informed care, programming for commercially sexually exploited youth, vicarious trauma, and leadership development. Nicole has been training multidisciplinary audiences on trauma-related topics since 2015 and provides guest lectures at local universities on human trafficking.
This course meets the qualifications for (2.75) BBS CE Hours for LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences & is provided by Fred Finch Youth Center, CAMFT Provider #045295.