Fri, Aug 04|
Strategies to Support System-Involved Youth with Mood Disorders
Time & Location
Aug 04, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM PDT
About the Event
Given the many diagnoses system-involved youth have, it’s crucial for social service providers, foster parents and natural supports to understand their diagnoses to best advocate and support them. This training will provide an overview of mood disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, etc. You will also learn strategies to support system involved youth diagnosed with these disorders.
· Participants will be able to identify at least one characteristic of a depressive episode.
· Participants will be able to identify at least one characteristic of a manic episode.
· Participants will be able to identify at least one strategy to support system-involved youth with a mood disorder.
1:15-2:45pm Mood disorder overview
· Depressive episodes
· Manic episodes
· Mood disorder diagnoses
2:45-3:00pm Break (CEs will not be offered for this time)
3:00-4:45pm Supporting youth with a mood disorder
· Talking with youth about their diagnoses
· Cognitive support strategies
· Behavioral support strategies
4:45-5:00pm Closing and Wrap-up
Meet Our Trainer
Kwonta Phatiphong is a Registered Psychological Associate with 6 years of counseling experience in clinical and social service settings. Experienced in supporting trauma and crisis, substance abuse, learning disabled, homeless, and low and high functioning client populations. Trained in substance abuse, Seeking Safety, TF-CBT, Motivational Interview, Crisis Prevention Intervention, Trauma Resiliency Model, and psychological assessments.
This course meets the qualifications for (3.75) BBS CE hours for LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences & is provided by Fred Finch Youth Center, CAMFT Provider #045295.