Wed, Dec 20|
Rethinking Resilience-Embracing Alternatives to Support System-Involved Youth
Dr. C. AkuaRose Feathers
Time & Location
Dec 20, 2023, 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM PST
About the Event
Dr. C. AkuaRose Feathers
Sometimes being strong or resilient can be as harmful as the trauma faced. This training aims to those who support foster youth or system-involved youth with skills that can help them create a strengths-based environment that allows youth to process through their traumas as they are empowered. Participants will learn hidden dangers of resiliency and skills needed to support system involved youth towards healing and effective life navigation.
Participants will be able to:
· Distinguish between instances of historical trauma, present-day trauma, and layered trauma;
· Explain at least 2 ways resiliency can be harmful for people living with historic and cultural oppression; and
· Acquire and apply at least 2 methods for trauma-informed wellness building.
10:00-11:00AM Introduction to Trauma and Wellness
· Welcome, Introduction, and Overview
· Icebreaker Activity: Sharing Personal Wellness Goals
· Understanding Trauma: Historical, Present-day, and Layered Trauma
· Group Activity: Identifying Trauma Types
11:00-11:15AM Break (CE Hours will not be offered for this time)
11:15-12:30PM Resilience and Cultural Oppression
· Exploring Resilience and Resistance
· Resilience in the Context of Cultural Oppression
· Activity: Resilience's Impact
· Group Discussion:
o Harmful Resilience
o Healthy Coping
12:30-1:30PM Lunch Break (CE hours will not be offered for this time)
1:30-2:30PM Trauma-Informed Wellness Building
· Introduction to Trauma-Informed Wellness
· Wellness Techniques
o Emotional Regulation
· Interactive Workshop: Practicing Wellness Techniques
2:30-3:15PM Benefits of Trauma-Informed Wellness Care
· Fostering Youth Development
· Enhancing the Future Well-being of Young People
· Prioritizing Staff Well-being – surprise!
3:15 – 3:30PM Break (CE hours will not be offered for this time)
3:30 – 4:00PM Group Discussion: Sharing Insights
· What are some a-ha moments?
· Applying this in your work: ease/difficulties?
4:00-5:00PM Layered Trauma Wellness Planning
· Understanding Layered Trauma
· Benefits of Helping Youth Build Wellness Plans
· Group Activity: Creating Wellness Plans
· Group Presentation: Sharing Wellness Plans and Benefits
· Reflection and Peer Feedback
· Recap of Key Concepts & Wrap-up
Meet Our Trainer
Dr. Akua is an Empowerment speaker, coach, training facilitator, and life strategist who believes we each possess the ability to craft a life of wellness so we can show up healthily and as our authentic selves. She holds a Ph.D. in Human Development with a focus on Traumatology Counseling, two Masters degrees, and a host of coaching certifications. She is passionate about helping people who want to achieve their goals.
This course meets the qualifications for (5.5) BBS CE hours for LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences & is provided by Fred Finch Youth Center, CAMFT Provider #045295.