Time is TBD|
Empowering System Involved Youth through Cultural Awareness & Trauma-Informed Approaches - A Comprehensive Training
Dr. C. AkuaRose Feathers
Time & Location
Time is TBD
About the Event
Dr. C. AkuaRose Feathers
This comprehensive training aims to equip therapists, social workers, and foster care parents with the knowledge and skills necessary to empower system-involved youth through cultural awareness and trauma-informed approaches. Participants will gain a deep understanding of trauma's impact on system involved youth and learn how to provide culturally sensitive, evidence-based care to support their resilience and well-being.
Participants will be able to:
· Identify at least 2 signs of trauma in system-involved youth;
· Acquire and apply at least 3 culturally competent communication skills;
· Identify and explain at least two trauma-informed strategies for supporting improved outcomes with system involved youth.
10:00-10:30am Introduction, training overview, training goals
10:30-11:30am Trauma and marginalized foster care & system-involved youth
· Marginalized people? Who let that happen? Exploring what it means to be marginalized
· Defining Trauma
· What Trauma looks like for marginalized groups
· How trauma impacts marginalized foster care & system-involved youth
11:30-11:45am Break (CE hours will not be offered for this time)
11:45am-1:00pm Culture Conversations
o Cultural competence
o Cultural awareness
o Cultural responsivity
· The Importance of Cultural Awareness in Child Welfare
· Recognizing Cultural Biases
· Discussion: Strategies for Developing Cultural Responsivity
1:00-2:00pm Lunch Break (CE hours will not be offered for this time)
· Cultural Trauma and Historical Trauma
· Recognizing Cultural Factors in Trauma
· Discussion: Meeting/Supporting system involved youth from where they are
3:30-3:45pm Break (CE hours will not be offered for this time)
3:45-5:00pm Empowering Marginalized Foster Care & System-Involved Youth
· Factors that enhance youth empowerment
· Strengths-based, trauma-Informed approaches to empowering youth
· Discussion: Practical Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Informed Environment
o Start with Y.O.U.
o Then to Y.O.U.T..H
· Recap of Key Concepts
Meet Our Trainer
Dr. Akua is an Empowerment speaker, coach, training facilitator, and life strategist who believes we each possess the ability to craft a life of wellness so we can show up healthily and as our authentic selves. She holds a Ph.D. in Human Development with a focus on Traumatology Counseling, two Masters degrees, and a host of coaching certifications. She is passionate about helping people who want to achieve their goals.
This course meets the qualifications for (5.5) BBS CE hours for LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences & is provided by Fred Finch Youth Center, CAMFT Provider #045295.